Friday, April 24, 2015

The Live 5

Live music is something we should all cherish. These days there is a tough decision we all have to make when witnessing a concert: do we watch it as we should, or do we watch it through our iPhone while we record the show that we pay good money to see. This is tough, but things get easier when you decide to watch the show through your own eyeballs and let someone else record it and post it to youtube. Inevitably, that will happen at most concerts, whether you think it is the sad truth or not. This being said, I was watching a bunch of youtube videos of bands that I like playing live music, and it hit me that I could do something with that. Therefore, let me present the first ever Breakfast at Jimothy’s Live 5. 5 live youtube videos of bands that I like and/or recommend to you, the reader. I’ll try doing this once a month or something and see how it does. As this is the inaugural Live 5, I’m going to hit you with some of my all time favorites. Let us begin:

5. Japandroids ‘The House That Heaven Built’ live at CAMP Basement, London

When you think of a two-piece band who can rock a place down to the ground, one may think immediately to the White Stripes. Unfortunately, they are a thing of the past. As unfortunate as that is, fortune is on our side as we have Japandroids to give rock n’roll duos a good name, especially with The House That Heaven Built. Crowd is into it, bouncing around and singing along, making this song seem even more exciting in person. Side note: check out the official music video for this song. It’s a fun black and white montage of the band on tour and although it is super simple, it is also super effective.



4. FIDLAR ‘Wake Bake Skate’ live in Phoenix, 2013

FIDLAR: modern day’s sign that punk rock has not died. I am seeing these guys live in Boston next month and I can honestly say I haven’t been this excited about a show in a long time. The crowd is going apeshit crazy just as you would imagine it might for a band that stands for “Fuck It Dog, Life’s A Risk”. It’s short, fast, loud and it would make the Ramones extremely proud (rhymes). Wake Bake Skate could be the anthem for the slacker youth of America who will run day be running this country! That is my first grandpa-sounding rant of 2015 and I’m surprised it took me that long for it to happen. Anyways, enjoy this video of a very happy crowd moshing, dancing, rushing the stage and crowd surfing.



3. Red Hot Chili Peppers ‘Don’t Forget Me’ Live at La Cigale

This is one of the most impressive live songs in my opinion, ever. John Frusciante is a weird dude, but his guitar playing is just absurd in this. Don’t Forget Me is my favorite Chili Peppers song, and just one listen to this song (especially the guitar solo) will make you understand why that is. This was the best thing to happen in France in ages.



2. Taking Back Sunday ‘Cute Without the E (Cut From The Team)' live 

This was at the Tell All Your Friends release party, which should make you all feel very old. Notable with Adam playing guitar, this video always stood out to me as the ultimate crowd singalong. This song really opened my eyes to a lot of different types of music when I was 14 or so, and you can see from the crowd’s reaction that they hang on to every lyric and chord. This is also the only time that I’ve ever seen a bouncer singing along and getting into the music as well, so bonus points for that. As much as I love this song, it is a close second to TBS’s rival: Brand New



1. Brand New ‘Seventy Times 7’ Live in London

Holy smokes. The description says how it was on his computer for a year or two, and he posted it to youtube in 2006, so we can put this maybe in 04 or even before that. This puts it into the peak angsty emo punk period of Brand New: The Your Favorite Weapon tour. Jesse Lacey actually looks excited to play Seventy Times 7, so that should really be an indicator of how old this is. I love the breakdown before the end, the bass flip is pretty epic at the 4:06 mark, the crowd rushing the stage and the guitar smash at the very end. Brand New shows have changed drastically since this, which isn't a negative, but man they were into it back then. This video is special, and that's why it lands at number 1 of the Live 5.


No comments:

Post a Comment